Thursday, January 13, 2011

Overcoming the Challenges of Challenging Students

As I near the end of week two, I am able to do so with many lessons learned. We started off the week with two snow days, the first of which teachers did not have to report. Teachers only reported on the second day. I will admit, I was a bit jealous of all my student teacher friends who got to enjoy another day off, however, the time I spent with just the teachers was beyond beneficial. Schedules were made, students discussed, assignments planned, and networking! Tons and tons of networking! I left the building more confident and secure than I had ever before.

As I mentioned, we had the opportunity to discuss the students while they were home on their snow day. This provided me with a greater understanding of the various needs, difficulties, and practices that each student has. Two of the main students discussed among the 8th grade teachers were two that I had in both of my classes. One struggles with defiant behaviors, lack of motivation, and an "I hate teachers, school, and the world" mentality.  The problems we have been having with the other student include, lying, cheating, refusal to work or participate, and off task behavior. Unfortunately, all of the 8th grade teachers are at their wits end and a complete stand still with both students. After much discussion, and many concerns for their education, and well-being we called together a meeting with all 8th grade staff and the Principal. This was an amazing experience for me. We met in a very relaxed environment and openly discussed the concerns everyone had for both students as well as the "how and "what" to do's about them. After much discussion, we were able to come up with a plan for both, and will begin implementing them next week. Stay tuned to find out how it works!

1 comment:

  1. What great experience for you! I hope your plans are successful and you can reach these kids. Just think how rewarding it will be when things "click" for them!

    ReplyDelete